CI welcomes new PhD students

This October, 17 new PhD students started their academic journey at the Cockcroft Institute.

Embarking on a PhD is both a rewarding and challenging experience. We wish the students happy and fruitful years ahead as they begin their PhD career!

Several of our new students have taken the opportunity to introduce themselves:

Andrea Fornara – Hi, Andrea here! I am from Rome and completed my undergrad and Master at the University of Pisa. I graduated in particle physics but during my Master I followed a course on accelerator physics and immediately fell in love with the elegance of the theory together with the capabilities of immense structures such as the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. The desire to work on these topics made me decide to reach for Rob Appleby which is now my supervisor at The University of Manchester. My project is devoted to the study of the most important elements to be added to the LHC for the new “High Luminosity” phase, the Crab Cavities. These RF Cavities tilt the bunches at the Interaction Points, where CMS and ATLAS experiments are sited, granting an unprecedented overlap between the two bunches leading to the production of ~15 millions of Higgs Bosons per year. In my free time I love to play videogames, cook, read books, and throw fireballs around as a wizard in my D&D campaigns.

Alexander Jury – Hi I’m Alex. I’m originally from Barnstaple in North Devon. I graduated from the Open University in Physics and Mathematics, while working for the National Autistic Society to provide residential care for adults with autism. I’m a PhD student at the University of Liverpool. I work with the Quasar Group researching the use of machine learning-based approaches to analyse the vast quantities of data from the Longitudinal Density Monitor of the Large Hadron Collider and how to use this data to perform precise real-time luminosity measurements. I developed an interest in accelerator science growing up hearing about CERN. I was then able to do a year in industry at Diamond Light Source where my project was Development of Development of Synchrotron Radiation sources for Diamond-II. In my free time I enjoy reading quizzes and tinkering with electronics projects.

Lauryn Eley – Hi! My name is Lauryn and I’m beginning my PhD based at the University of Liverpool and Cockcroft Institute. I’m from Aberdeen, Scotland but I have lived in various places including Dubai and Houston! I have recently graduated from an Integrated Masters in Physics with Astrophysics from the University of York. My Masters project was based on investigating coded mask apertures on telescopes like INTEGRAL for gamma-ray sources. It is this astrophysics background that led me into accelerator/radiation physics which my PhD into 3D X-Ray imaging lines up perfectly with, allowing me to explore radiation physics with practical application in greater depth which I am very excited about! Outside of physics, I have a range of interests including rugby (as a Scotland supporter, obviously), playing guitar, crochet, swimming and the gym.

Rupeshkumar Ghagi – Namaste! My name is Rupesh and I come from Warora, a small town in central India. I have done my Master of Science in the Department of Physics, University of Pune in 2008. I have spent the following years in social and entrepreneurial initiatives in various roles and responsibilities. While looking for a research opportunity, I came to know about this project at the QUASAR Group, University of Liverpool and decided to apply. I will be developing a theoretical model and understanding of optical transition radiation from un-processed metal targets and apply it for diagnostics of low energy ion beams. I am excited about this opportunity to develop deeper understanding of accelerator science which include trainings at CI, LIV.INNO and simulations/experimental studies at GSI/FAIR (Germany). I like to explore design of various things including products, structures and even social constructs.

Angus Jones – Hi! My name is Angus and I’m a first year PhD student at the University of Liverpool.
I was born and raised in Chester, before doing my undergraduate degree in Physics – also at the University of Liverpool – and I am excited to continue my physics journey (they won’t be able to get rid of me at this rate!). Over the coming years I will be working to develop and improve the optical fibre beam loss monitor, and I hope to adapt the detector for more applications – such as the detection and prevention of RF breakdowns or superconducting quenches. I’ve always been interested in science, but it was work experience with the ASTeC department at Daresbury that first got me properly interested in accelerators, so I seem to have come full circle!
When I’m not doing physics, you’ll most likely find me on the water, windsurfing at the marine lake in Crosby – especially if the forecast is good!

Ben Keeble – Hello, my name is Ben. I grew up in Cheshire and graduated from the University of Nottingham with a master’s in Physics. My PhD research project is in RF engineering for the future X-ray Free Electron Laser. I am a student at Lancaster University but am currently based at the Cockcroft Institute. I originally became interested in accelerator science when, at high school in 2016, I did work experience with the ASTeC group at Daresbury, working on the ALICE prototype free electron laser in addition to an introduction to other departments. More recently, I worked at RAL Space as a project manager on the Sentinel 3 satellite program. Outside of work, I enjoy playing saxophone and am in several bands. I am a leader with the 1st Lostock Cub Scouts and enjoy hiking on long-distance trails in my free time.

William Pash – Hello I’m Will. I grew up in the Cotswolds and then moved to York as an undergraduate back in the ancient past of in 2009. I graduated from the University of York with an MPhys in physics, and after a break from academia I returned to the University of York for an MSc in Fusion Energy. Here are the Cockcroft institute I’m working with Lancaster University on the design of a novel, compact free electron maser for electron cyclotron heating of fusion plasmas. I got interested in this project after learning about the challenges being faced in the development of fusion energy, and I wanted to do my part in solving those problems. Back in York I spent a good chunk of my free time with groups playing tabletop rpgs and I’m looking forward to starting up some fresh new ones. On top of that I have been known to dabble in digital art when the mood takes me.

Connor Monaghan – Hi I’m Connor I am from Liverpool and studied Physics (MPhys) at University of Liverpool. My research project will be working on the PERLE accelerator’s beam dynamics, building on the work done by a previous QUASAR Group member. This project will be realised as a collaboration between the University of Liverpool and IJCLab in Orsay, France. My interest was sparked by my experiences during undergraduate, but I decided to make this my focus after a summer internship with Berhard Holzer at CERN looking at synchrotron radiation shielding in the interaction region of the proposed LHeC, this directly led to my interest in ERL technology and my decision to make this a focus of my PhD studies. Outside of work I enjoy dancing salsa and bachata, joining a local dance group and competing in a world championship, placing 5th.

Ali Kosari Mehr – Hello I’m Ali, and I hail from Tehran, Iran. I completed my bachelor’s degree in physics at K. N. Toosi University of Technology with my project focusing on the dispersion mechanism of carbon nanotubes. Following my bachelor’s degree, I started my master’s program in solid state physics at Iran University of Science and Technology. During my master’s program and relevant work experience shortly afterwards, I focused on research into thin-film materials, their properties, and the advancement of deposition methods. I joined the University of Liverpool/Cockcroft Institute as a PhD student, concentrating on the growth and characterisation of thin film and alkali metal photocathodes for the generation of high-brightness electron beams. For me, science and art are two sources of fascination: In the latter, one strives to develop the knowledge of creation. In the former, one strives to recreate and foresee what has been already created – nature. In my leisure time, I delight in whiling away the time listening to music, contemplating, or cooking.

Diego Botelho – Hi, I’m Diego from Portugal and I moved to the UK to graduate with a master’s in physics from the University of Nottingham. My bachelor and master’s projects were in applying machine learning to quantum entanglement and gravitational lensing. Over the summers between, I worked as a research assistant modelling magnetic induction and shielding for imaging techniques. My current topic of research at the CI is machine learning for accelerator characterization and optimisation with the University of Liverpool. One of my first memories of getting interested in physics was picking up a pop science book on accelerators, and although I no longer remember which book it was, it’s still that same fascination with the universe that brings me here. Outside of my passion for research, I enjoy sharing moments with loved ones, preferably under the sun around nature and playing music inspired by the 1960/70s.

Ryan McGuigan  – Hello, I’m Ryan. I’m a physicist from the Isle of Man currently doing a PhD at Lancaster University with The Cockcroft Institute in THz Acceleration of Relativistic Electrons. Lancaster University is my alma mater where I graduated with a MPhys in Theoretical Physics in 2019. Following my degree, I worked for three years in precision optics manufacturing. This was a research and development role where I performed and developed metrology as well as engaged in thin film coatings design and published material on laser induced damage of optical coatings. It is through this exposure to the optics industry and my general fascination with high energy electromagnetic interactions that has fostered an interest in THz acceleration. THz accelerators utilise a laser-based acceleration method whereby charge bunches can be accelerated when subjected to the electromagnetic field of a laser pulse operating at THz frequencies (far infrared). This method offers advantages to traditional rf accelerators as they can operate over much smaller length scales and are hence much less costly. In my free time I enjoy playing the guitar and collecting vinyl records.

Finlay Gunneberg  – Hi, my name is Finlay and I’m originally from Swansea. I am a first year PhD student at Lancaster University. The topic of my research is improving the accuracy for particle-in-cell code simulations. In particular I’ll be looking at methods of depositing the charge from macro particles onto grids and exploring how the internal dynamics of macro particles impact their motion. I completed my master’s in theoretical physics with mathematics at Lancaster University, during which I developed a keen interest in the Vlasov field and the accompanying mathematics required to study it. After taking a year out to teach I decided that the academic environment would be the best place to pursue my passion for mathematical physics. During my free time I like to run and can regularly be heard playing the cello.

Andrew Jones – Hi, I’m Andrew, a first year PhD student at the University of Liverpool. Having completed my bachelors and master’s degrees in Liverpool, and being a local, I wanted to continue my studies in the city. My master’s degree focused on Radiometrics, in modelling and instrumentation, which also happens to be main theme of my PhD research, into the development of instrumentation for use in molten salt reactors, an exciting technology that will hopefully provide new energy solutions using previously spent fuel. I’m excited to start my research into this field, as the need for cleaner energy is what inspired me to embark on such a project. Outside of work, I enjoy restoring classic cars, and enjoy archery, in which I am training to become a judge.

Nathan Leicester – Hi, I’m Nathan. I graduated in 2020 from the University of Nottingham with a BSc in Physics. My undergraduate degree I mostly focused on medical physics, and when I graduated, I was looking for jobs in that field. I was offered a job as an accelerator operator in October 2020 at Advanced Oncotherapy at Daresbury Laboratory, where a LINAC is currently being commissioned for use in proton therapy treatments. I’ve worked there for the past 2 years where my interest in accelerators grew through working on the accelerator and learning from experts. I am now starting the first year of my PhD at Lancaster University working on the development of longitudinally split cavities for SRF thin films with Prof Graeme Burt.  Outside of Physics I enjoy hiking, playing role-playing games, and going to gigs.