The Cockcroft Institute is the UK’s largest educator of accelerator science and technology PhD students, and offers exciting studentships in physics, engineering and other disciplines. We currently have around 70 PhD students studying at the Institute, around half of which are based at collaborating accelerator laboratories and institutes around the world, including CERN. Our postgraduates spend 3 to 4 years working on a specialised project in the field of accelerator science and technology. Hands-on experience is also available for our students on our research facilities (VELA and CLARA) and all postgraduates attend a two-year accelerator science educational programme. Students are registered at one of the four partner universities within Cockcroft (Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester, and Strathclyde) but may also be supervised by staff at the Accelerator science and technology centre (ASTeC) within the Science and Technology Facilities Council.
If you are interested in working on some of the world’s most exciting physics and engineering projects at the cutting edge of science and technology, then a PhD at the Cockcroft Institute might be right for you. We normally have over ten fully-funded PhD studentships per year, which include a stipend to support the student’s living expenses.
To apply, fill in this form and email it to us: CI PhD Application Form (MS Word)
Current PhD subjects include; beam optics simulations, radio frequency engineering, mathematical physics, laser-plasma interactions, THz generation, anti-matter, photonics and metamaterials, surface science, beam diagnostics, superconductivity and accelerator commissioning.
We have postgraduates working on accelerators all over the world including in Switzerland, Germany, France, America and Japan. Students will work on accelerators for a range of applications including high energy physics, synchrotron light sources and free-electron lasers, spallation sources, medical accelerators (including proton therapy), security screening accelerators.
If you have any questions, please email Dr. Hywel Owen.
Lancaster University: Cockcroft Institute PhD Projects, Programs & Scholarships
- Laser Driven Relativistic Particle Acceleration
- Superconducting RF Crab cavities for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) upgrade
- Fully-funded PhD Studentship in Linear Particle Accelerators for X-ray Cargo Screening and Radiotherapy
- High-Quality Electrons and High-Brightness X-rays from Wakefield Acceleration
University of Liverpool: Cockcroft Institute PhD Projects, Programs & Scholarships
- Machine-learning in Secondary Emission Monitor (SEM) optimization
- Supersonic Gas Jet for High Luminosity LHC
- Femtosecond synchronization for externally-injected laser wakefield acceleration at CLARA
- Suppression of electron cloud in future particle accelerators using Laser Ablation Surface Engineering
University of Manchester: Cockcroft Institute PhD Projects, Programs & Scholarships
- A novel future ion therapy accelerator
- FLASH VHEE radiotherapy: a potential new-paradigm-in-cancer-treatment
- Magnetic design of a prototype FFA Gantry for rapid delivery of proton therapy
- Properties of Rare-Earth Elements and Their Application to Free-Electron Lasers
- Adaptation of 3 GHz cavity design of linear accelerators for proton radiotherapy
- Systematic studies of electron seeding, injection and acceleration in AWAKE Run 2
- Experimental Demonstration of Terahertz-Driven Particle Acceleration